Hennepin County was established in 1852, and the settlement on the west side of the river was given the name Minneapolis, as coined by Charles Hoag.
The two towns prospered as a result of industries and businesses based around the falls, but business was better on the west side of the falls.
Within the next ten years, he established a sawmill at the falls, and lumbermen from the north began cutting trees and sending them to Steele's sawmill.
Louis Comfort Tiffany stained-glass window depicting creation donated in memory of J. Well-preserved Gothic Revival home of local businessman from mid-19th century; built when that style was very new.
Later home to workers constructing the Otisville Tunnel, which runs beneath the property.1835 Alexander Jackson Davis church is his only surviving one in Greek Revival style, also his latest surviving church largely unaltered from his design.
Real Estate records are available by hard copy or online.
Deeds from 1777 through 1969 can be accessed by the online record search.
Minneapolis incorporated as a city in 1867, and three years later it merged with the village of Saint Anthony.