Louis XIV's expansion of the building was begun around 1661, with Louis Le Vau as architect.It was not completed until about 1715, having been worked on by architects including François d'Orbay, Charles Le Brun (interiors especially), Jules Hardouin-Mansart and Robert de Cotte.Today, however, it is a wealthy suburb of Paris, some 20 kilometres (12 mi) southwest of the centre of the French capital.Versailles was the seat of political power in the Kingdom of France from 1682, when King Louis XIV moved the royal court from Paris, until the royal family was forced to return to the capital in October 1789, within three months after the beginning of the French Revolution.
There were a range of satellite buildings around the grounds.Mit ihrer Eleganz spricht sie zudem die gehobene Gastronomie an.), is a royal château in Versailles in the Île-de-France region of France.Louis XIV evolved a rigid routine of court life as a performance, much of which took place in front of large groups of people, at some points in the day including tourists.
Building the château and maintaining the court there was phenomenally expensive, but did a good deal to establish the dominance of French style and taste in the whole of Europe, giving French luxury manufacturing advantages that long outlasted the fall of the Ancien Régime.
While the main château building remains essentially intact, though without much of its contents, some of these other buildings have been destroyed. 1661–1678) was designed and supervised by the architect Louis Le Vau.